2 day OT Parkinson's Training with Ana Aragon
|Start Date 1||8 Feb 2022|
|Start Date 2||9 Feb 2022|
PLEASE LOG IN TO AVAIL OF MEMBERS' RATE
A 2-day interactive online course offering a comprehensive introduction to Parkinson’s and condition-specific Occupational Therapy management approaches.
- To outline the wide range of motor and non-motor symptoms associated with Parkinson’s [disease].
- To explore Parkinson’s-specific management methods – what does and does not suit people living with Parkinson’s.
- To highlight ways to enhance functional ability through supported practice and activity.
- To encourage learning – by discussion and sharing of anonymised case scenarios.
- Gain insights into the neurological basis of the functional impacts caused by Parkinson’s.
- Learn ways to support use of prescribed anti-Parkinson’s medication, as well as why and how to refer people with Parkinson’s to other professional teams.
- Understand how to select and introduce assistive equipment, adaptations and devices.
- Develop confidence in applying a ‘virtual tool-kit’ of Cognitive and Sensory Strategies to enhance functional ability.
- Discover ways to connect with other OTs with a special interest in Parkinson’s and learn more about management of the condition.
- Introduction to the 2 day training programme & to Parkinson’s.
- Research & current understanding of basal ganglia function & dysfunction, as seen in Parkinson’s Disease & Parkinsonism.
- The basics of medication and surgical treatments for Parkinson’s.
1.00 – 1.30pm Lunch break
- Assessment & Communication issues, plus effective methods.
- Introduction to the; OT Parkinson’s Guide ,
OT Parkinson’s Network and OT Parkinson’s Referral Menu.
- Questions & discussion time.
4.00 Close of day 1.
- Introduction to Intrinsic & Extrinsic Cognitive Strategies and underlying evidence.
- The benefits & frustrations of Aids & Equipment.
- How to use of Multi-Sensory teaching techniques.
1.00 – 1.30pm Lunch break
- Visual dysfunction and management strategies.
- Movement Strategies & how to teach them.
- Multi-disciplinary working for people living with Parkinson’s.
- Final questions & discussion time.
4.00 Close of day 2.
Breaks for refreshments and pauses to move about during each session, will be built into the day.
Ana Aragon, registered with the UK Health Professions Council as an Occupational Therapist in 1989, after 3 years full-time training.
Ana worked with more than 700 people living with Parkinson’s and their relatives over an 11 year period in an NHS Parkinson’s specialist service. She then moved on to develop and lead an online Master of Science Degree Course about Parkinson’s as an Associate Senior Lecturer for Leeds Beckett University specifically for Healthcare Professionals. Ana now works independently, mainly in online teaching roles, delivering educational resources and virtual meetings supported by Phoenix-Aragon Education. In addition, she collaborates on various health-related projects such as National Best Practice Guidance for Occupational Therapists and the Parkinson’s Foundation’s Global Rehabilitation Task Force. Ana stays in touch with people living Johnsonwith Parkinson’s mostly by volunteering at regular drop-in sessions hosted by a local branch of Parkinson’s UK.
Application and Payment information:
- Payment in full is taken at the time of application.
- Payment of the fee does not guarantee you a place at this event.
- Full payment must be received prior to the closing date in order to secure your place.
- If the event is oversubscribed you will be provided with a full refund.
- Successful applicants will be notified that they have a place at the event following the closing date.
- Places are limited and members are advised to apply early to secure a place.
- Please note: notifications will be sent to the email address entered on this application form. Please make sure to enter correctly the email address you wish to use for communication about this event.