Applying SI Principles with Older Adults: Live webinar course
LOG IN TO AVAIL OF MEMBERS RATE
|Event Date||10 Jul 2020|
Please note: You will need a computer or tablet with browser, good internet access and speakers
Aims of the training:
Participants will learn about strategies to support this client group in a range of settings and how to adapt their approach as their client’s needs change and towards end of life care. This workshop will give participants an increased understanding and knowledge of sensory processing techniques and how they can be applied to older adults with organic brain disorders. The training will increase participants' confidence in devising sensory treatment strategies for clients with dementia and other organic brain disorders.
This course will explore how OTs can apply SI strategies to older adult populations. The particular focus will be on dementia and other organic conditions.
- Learn about brain science evidence that supports the theory of sensory integration and sensory integration difficulties.
- The course will look at how therapists can use their skills and knowledge in a range of settings including working in the community, care home and inpatient mental health unit.
- A brief look at the ageing process and the effects on the sensory system.
- The importance of using engagement in personalised and individual sensory treatment plans through use of everyday familiar activities.
- Considering our environment and how this impacts upon those whose sensory systems are not working optimally.
- Explore ways in which the environment can be adapted, to be more dementia and sensory friendly spaces.
- Discussion around approaches for clients who have poor verbal communication. Techniques and resources for working with carers and family members will be shared.
- Sensory modulation strategies for reducing behaviours that challenge will be discussed and will also include practical participation in short tasks to help highlight the sensory challenges daily life can pose to those with sensory challenges.
- Equipment and use of age appropriate ‘toys’ and gadgets.
- Sundowners syndrome – sensory strategies and activities to implement in the early evening, will be explored to support those individuals who experience these symptoms.
Facilitators: This course will be delivered by Sensory Network UK trainers
Application and Payment information:
- Payment in full is taken at the time of application.
- Payment of the fee does not guarantee you a place at this workshop.
- Full payment must be received prior to the closing date in order to secure your place.
- If the workshop is oversubscribed you will be provided with a full refund.
- Successful applicants will be notified that they have a place at the workshop following the closing date.
- Places are limited and members are advised to apply early to secure a place.
- Please note: notifications will be sent to the email address entered on this application form. Please make sure to enter correctly the email address you wish to use for communication about this event.