INSIGHT following Brain Injury
|Venue||Our Lady’s Hospice & Care Services, Harold’s Cross, Dublin 6W|
|Date||29 Jan 2020 - 30 Jan 2020|
This two day interactive workshop is suitable for professionals working with adults who have insight problems following brain injury. The course presents a practical model within which to understand awareness and acceptance problems following brain injury. The workshop format encourages the development of practical activities that can be put into practice within teams.
AIMS OF THE TRAINING:
- To extend skills and knowledge about the concept of insight following brain injury
- To introduce materials that can be used to assess insight
- To provide practical treatment approaches to take away and use with clients/patients
Programme Day 1:
Defining 'insight'; understanding related terms; awareness and acceptance.
10:30 am MECHANISMS OF AWARENESS
Practical exercise - how to know what are you're strengths and weaknesses; why awareness problems exist following brain injury; denial as a protective mechanism; effects of cognitive, executive and metacognitive problems.
11:15 am Coffee
11:45am AREAS OF THE BRAIN INVOLVED IN AWARENESS
Presentation of the concept of Association Cortex with Heteromodal and Unimodal dimensions.
12:15pm WHY DO WE NEED TO IMPROVE AWARENESS?
The importance of dealing with awareness issues; implications for rehabilitation
1:45pm A PRACTICAL MODEL OF AWARENESS
Presenting Crosson et al's model (1989) with modifications; intellectual awareness; emergent awareness; anticipatory awareness.
2:15pm ASSESSMENT OF AWARENESS
Assessment using Crosson et al's model (1989)
3:00pm ASSESSMENT OF AWARENESS
Practical group exercise with case study; discussion and questions
Programme Day 2:
10:00am SUMMARY OF DAY 1
10:30am GROUP EXERCISE FOR DEVELOPING TREATMENT GUIDELINES
Using case studies and discussion
11:45am TREATMENT OF AWARENESS
Issues of timing of intervention, hope, emotional distress and denial.
1:45pm ADJUSTMENT ISSUES
How to tell people; the grieving process; loss; how to deal with the distress/anger
3:00pm WHAT DO YOU NEED NOW
Application and Payment information:
- Payment in full is taken at the time of application.
- Payment of the fee does not guarantee you a place at this workshop.
- Full payment must be received prior to the closing date in order to secure your place.
- If the workshop is oversubscribed you will be provided with a full refund.
- Successful applicants will be notified that they have a place at the workshop following the closing date.
- Places are limited and members are advised to apply early to secure a place.
- Please note: notifications will be sent to the email address entered on this application form. Please make sure to enter correctly the email address you wish to use for communication about this event.