Motivational Interviewing Level One
Interdisciplinary event HSE funded
|Start Date 1||5 Sep 2023|
|Start Date 2||12 Sep 2023|
|Start Date 3||19 Sep 2023|
|Time||09:30 - 13:00|
Motivational Interviewing Level 1
September 5 @ 9:30 am - September 19 @ 1:00 pm€10.00
9.30am – 1pm
This is an interdisciplinary event between Social Care Ireland (SCI) the Irish Association of Social Workers (IASW), the Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists (IASLT), the Association of Occupational Therapists of Ireland (AOTI), the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (ACSLM) and the Irish Nutrition & Dietetic Institute (INDI). The course has been funded by the HSCP Office, HSE. As such, places are available to social care workers in the publicly funded healthcare service only.
Motivational interviewing (MI) adopts a person-centred approach that works by identifying and mobilising the service users/patient’s intrinsic values and goals to stimulate behaviour change. Motivation to change is elicited from the service user/patient, rather than imposed from without, thereby reducing defensive responses to interventions/treatment plans.
A multitude of clinical trials demonstrate that MI is more effective for improving health and eliciting long term behaviour change, than traditional treatment approaches (Rubak, Sandbaek, Lauritzen & Christensen, 2005). Moreover, studies demonstrate it is an effective approach for health and social care professions engaged with service user/patient groups presenting with varied needs (Miller et al., 2011). Improvements have been demonstrated in numerous health and social care settings. Using MI as a behavioural change method as part of a whole systems approach can impact on health inequalities, premature deaths, and health improvement.
Course Aims: This two-day course (over three half days) introduces participants to the theory and practice of Motivational Interviewing, with a strong focus on practical application. Participants will be sent pre-course material beforehand.
• Discuss the theory and principles of Motivational Interviewing
• Describe the processes of Motivational Interviewing
• Utilise Core Motivational Interviewing skills.
• Guide clients towards change
• Offer advice and information in a way that promotes change.
• Understand the language of change.
The course provider is MindAware Consultancy Limited, a company specialising in training in Cognitive Behavioural Intervention, Motivational Interviewing, Clinical Supervision, and Mindfulness Based Approaches. All trainers hold Postgraduate Degrees in Health or Social Care as well as counselling/psychotherapy qualifications. They are all trained in the use of CBT in a range of Health and Social Care settings. Additionally, they all have more than 15 years clinical experience and very significant expertise in education and training.
Application and Payment information:
- Payment in full is taken at the time of application.
- Payment of the fee does not guarantee you a place at this event.
- Full payment must be received prior to the closing date in order to secure your place.
- If the event is oversubscribed you will be provided with a full refund.
- Successful applicants will be notified that they have a place at the event following the closing date.
- Places are limited and members are advised to apply early to secure a place.
- Please note: notifications will be sent to the email address entered on this application form. Please make sure to enter correctly the email address you wish to use for communication about this event.