Get Involved with AOTI
As a member-led organisation we need your help to grow our organisation and strengthen our profession
Volunteer with AOTI - its a great CPD opportunity! To find out more, click here.
AOTI provides members with access to a professional community that offers you many opportunities for networking, peer learning, support and leadership. We depend on our members to grow and develop AOTI. By getting involved in the running of AOTI you can play your part in strenghtening the voice of the Occupational Therapy profession in Ireland. Below are just some of the ways you can get involved in AOTI.
Join the AOTI Management Team
The Management Team is responsible for the day-to-day running of AOTI, with the support of AOTI staff. The Management Team is overseen by and reports to the Board of Directors. Core responsibilities include:
- Aligning AOTI operations with AOTI strategy
- Making decisions in relation to all areas of AOTI operations
- Establishing and reviewing AOTI operational policies and procedures
- Responding to high level correspondence received by AOTI
- Overseeing the work of AOTI Committees, Advisory Groups and AOTI representatives and supporting these key organisational structures
- Representing AOTI on professional and practice matters and making submissions to external consultations on behalf of AOTI
- Overseeing operations in areas such as membership, the website, AOTI documents, conference and projects.
- Reporting to the Board of Directors on AOTI operations and seeking guidance from the Board of Directors on matters impacting on AOTI policy, strategy and governance
From time to time AOTI will put out a call to members seeking applications to fill vacancies on the Management Team. Becoming a member of the Management Team provides you with a unique set of professional learning and career development opportunities, including:
- An opportunity to play a key role in the occupational therapy profession in Ireland
- A unique CPD experience to learn and develop transferable skills in areas such as project, people and resource management.
- A career development opportunity, particularly for basic grade and senior occupational therapists, to acquire knowledge and skills in organisational operations and management
- A chance to contribute to strengthening AOTI and the voice of Irish occupational therapists in line with AOTI Strategy 2017-2022.
Please contact the Management Team to express an interest in joining or assisting their work by emailing [email protected] and putting 'Interested in Joining the Management Team ' in the subject line.
Join an AOTI Committee
AOTI Committees assist us in setting policy and running programmes in some of our key areas of activity including:
- Accreditation: running AOTI Accreditation of Occupational Therapy programmes
- Ann Beckett: running the annual Ann Beckett Award programme
- Communications: overseeing AOTI communications, PR, social media activity and the newsletter
- Conference: planning and organising our Annual Conference
- Documents: overseeing the production of AOTI documents and publications
- EBP & Research: supporting and promoting evidence-based practice research in Occuaptional Therapy
- IJOT: producing the Irish Journal of Occupational Therapy
- International: collaborating with international Occupational Therapy organisations
From time-to-time our Committees will issue a call for new members but please contact any of the above Committees to express an interest in joining or assisting their work at any time by emailing [email protected] and putting 'Interested in Joining a Committee' in the subject line.
Join an Advisory Group Committee
AOTI Advisory Groups advise us on professional practice matters and provide members with valuable CPD and peer networking opportunities. Each of our 13 Advisory Groups are run by a Committee responsible for to overall operation of the Group. To join the Committee of an Advisory Group you must first become a member of the Group. By joining an Advisory Group Committee you will have the opportunity to:
- Shape AOTI policy on professional practice matters
- Organise Study Days for AOTI members
- Play a leadership role within your professional body
Advisory Groups elect members to their Committee at their AGM but please contact any of our Advisory Groups at any time if you would like to support their work and join their Committee by emailing the Group directly. Email addresses for Advisory Groups can be found on their pages here
Help Run the AOTI Conference
The AOTI Annual Conference is planned, organised and run by the Conference Committee. This Committee is always in need of help from members to deliver the best possible AOTI Conference. By joining the Conference Committee you will get to learn and use a unique set of skills including:
- Event planning and organisation
- People management, negotiation and networking
- Resource management, sponsorship and budgeting
- Programme planning
- Project management
If you feel you have the skills to help run the AOTI Conference or would like to learn the above skills as part fo your CPD, then please contact the Conference Committee by emailing [email protected] and putting 'Interested in Joining Conference Committee' in the subject line.
Apply to Become an AOTI Representative
AOTI has representatives on a wide range of regional, national and international committees, groups and organisations. We depend on our members to represent us in many different forums and to bring our unique occupational focus to policy and practice development forums at home and abroad.
From time to time AOTI issues calls for expressions of interest to members for representative vacancies or opportunities that arise. If you are interested in volunteering to become an AOTI representative please email [email protected] and put 'Interested in Becoming an AOTI Rep' in the subject line.